Divorce is not only difficult for those going through it, but it is also awkward and uncomfortable for those hit by its shrapnel.
Steve and I were at a dinner with another couple, one of which was a "replacement" of the old couple.
We went to be supportive of our old friend.
However, it was painful!
Dry conversations.
Dead air.
Smiles wider than necessary to hide the discomfort.
Grasping--seriously grasping for some common ground with which to jump off from.
Nothing.
In fairness, perhaps the new person felt uncomfortable since it may have felt like an audition of some sort.
Was that what made the personality seem so one dimensional?
Or was that all the person had to offer?
I wonder.
Plus the fact that the "replacement" had what I called a tinkling laugh
(like the sound that small cubes of ice shaken in a glass would make)
did not help at all.
not at all.
And I am a pretty open person, I'd like to think.